Friday, June 2, 2023

Big Miles in May

 It all gets serious in May. You should have a good base from the spring and be ready to go. In many years I do the Charles River Wheelers Spring Century in May.  This year the CRW century conflicted with my oldest daughter's college graduation (couldn't be more proud of her!).  

Despite losing the Spring Century, I needed to get some big miles in to be fully ready for the follow on June ride, Outriders (125 miles/200 km).  

Sign in front of a church in Weston, MA. It says 
"Act Justly
Live Kindly
Walk Humbly
Drive Safely
Micah 6:8, adapted"


To that end I did three long rides over the course of the Month, 65 miles/104 km, 72 miles/115 km, and an 86 mile/138 km ride.  I also tried to work in some more hills by the end of the month.  The weather cooperated nicely all month long.  Even if the mornings were stubbornly cold for many commutes.  At some point I was even able to ditch my winter cycling jacket.

The Mighty Concord River, early in May. Not many leaves yet.





Consistency -- and exhaustion by the end of the month.  The
tail end of the month had nine days in a row on the bike. It meant
for really sore legs (and I rode on 1 June, for an even ten days).



Between coffee rides with friends, long solo rides, running errands, and my bike commute I logged 649 miles/1044 km over the course of the month.


I made it a point to ride with friends a bit more. It was a really nice change of pace for me.

Rides (even bike commutes) with friends

One important takeaway: don't drink a large Gatorade AND the milk based mocha iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts in one go.  It took quite some time before I felt right after that.

Don't do what Donny Don't Does

The other big news is I got a new commute/bad weather/touring bike: A Specialized Diverge E5.  I've only ridden it on one real ride so far, but I love it!

New bike, old panniers, ready for some big rides. 
And lots of commutes too.


Feet up taking a break on the Natick town green.



Looking forward to lots more miles in June.  More commutes, more rides with friends, two big events, Outriders and The Tour de Shuls.

No comments:

Post a Comment