Wednesday, August 17, 2022

The Big Push

 So a couple weeks ago my wife mentioned that the North Shore Cyclists 100 mile ride "Blazing Saddles" was approaching fast.  And the week after that I have my customary solo ride out from Boston to Provincetown for our family vacation on the Cape.

This meant it was time to stop taking it easy with 40 mile weekend rides and up the volume.  In short order I did a 62 mile ride followed by a 72 mile ride the next weekend.  More importantly I increased the number of days/weekly mileage.  It was a tough period to do this since it included a fairly intense heat wave with temps on the road getting up to 104F/40C.  

By the time I got to that 72 mile/116 km ride I was already TIRED.  I made sure to get quality sleep -- including a nap on the weekend.  I also steered clear of alcohol which really negatively impacts my recovery time, sleep quality, and resting heart rate.  It kind of didn't matter.  I just had to take a few days off the bike.

Which I've done and now I'm ready to get back in the saddle and get those big rides done.  All leading up to my big event of the year, The Harbor to the Bay charity ride.



No comments:

Post a Comment