Monday, August 7, 2017

What to Wear for Cycling in New England autumn weather

What to Wear for Cycling in New England autumn weather.

Technically, the Harbor to the Bay Ride occurs in summer.  Long time riders can attest the weather in late September can be quite variable.  We’ve had dry years, rainy rides, hot rides, and one year when the temperature at rollout was a brisk 42 degrees.  Given that we’re riding out to Cape Cod, you could run into all of the above in a single day.

How can you dress to be comfortable and safe with variable weather like that?

Here is what I do to prepare:
We’ve all got the snazzy looking ride jerseys and our favorite comfortable cycling shorts.  I also carry a wind vest, knee warmers, and arm warmers.  The warmers come in different weights, but a light set will suffice for any cold or wet conditions we might run into.  The warmers are made of materials similar to your shorts and turn your summer clothing into three season gear.  All of that rolls up small and fits into the jersey pockets with room left over for a wallet, snack bars, and what have you.  Here’s a photo of me wearing knee warmers and the vest:

DSC_5054.jpg

Various combinations of vest/arm/knee warmers can keep you comfortable as conditions warrant and as they change through the day.  I’ve been on lots of rides where it’s chilly in the morning, so I wear all of it.  Then in the afternoon it’s hot and they’re all in my pockets.  And then as the sun goes down I stop to put bits of it back on.  If it rains, this stuff won’t keep you dry, but will keep you a bit warmer.

For rain I also carry one of those little cycling caps. Wearing the brim down & low keeps the rain out of my eyes.  If rain is in the forecast, there are snap on fenders you can put on your bike to keep the road grit and splash off of you.  It makes a big difference.  

Here I am with the cap under the helmet and my rain bike with the full permanent fenders.  Note the lights I use in rain too -- rear red & front white.
IMAG7696.jpg  

You can get all of this at your local bike store. Don’t forget to ask for that H2B discount!

No comments:

Post a Comment