Friday, July 7, 2023

Cycling in Cooperstown

This July 4th weekend we went to Cooperstown, NY to visit family.  The cycling around Cooperstown is outstanding, so I made sure to bring my bike.  Even if I only had time to do "stretch your legs" rides, it was worth it. The forecast was kind of marginal, but the misty rain on the first day was far better than the smoke from the Global Warming caused Canadian wildfires.


Mist shrouded hills past the Susquehanna 

At least it was a warm misty rain.

The roads are a bit narrow in places, but they're generally quiet.  The local drivers are careful around cyclists as a rule.  The Baseball Hall of Fame visiting tourists?  Well, your mileage varies with them, but it's generally better than eastern Massachusetts.  Yes, that's something of a low bar.  My rainy spin was out from town along River Road to Milford.  This goes past three breweries, including the excellent Ommegang.  I then got on the state road, route 28.  This was wider with a shoulder, but much more heavily trafficked.  I cut back over to River Road for a quieter ride.  

Post ride coffee at the Stagecoach Cafe

After the spin -- only about 20 miles I went to the Stagecoach Cafe.  The B&B I was staying at, The Cooperstown Bed and Breakfast was outstanding, but their coffee wasn't the kind of high test that I need to function.  Otherwise I can very strongly recommend staying at their wonderful B&B.  I had a funny incident where I lost part of my helmet clasp, but a passing family helped me find it in short order.

The immaculate front lawn of the wonderful Cooperstown Bed & Breakfast


The next day I did a slightly longer 25 mile ride out to Glimmerglass State Park.  It was gorgeous.  I took East Lake Road to the park.  

You don't have to go to VT to see covered bridges

For some reason I decided to skip the snack bar at the state park.  Not sure what I was thinking.  I rode up past Hyde Hall to an unmarked gravel road.  It was a bit wet and muddy, but nothing that the 28's I'm running had any trouble with.




After the gravel road I got onto a paved road that gently went uphill.  It passed several very tidy farms.  Some growing corn, some raising dairy cows.  I love the smell of dairy cows.  Always reminds me of the Israeli kibbutz I spent several summers on when I was a teenager.


The climb became progressively steeper.  With some wonderful views.  There were lots of flowers by the side of the road.  If I had the time I would have stretched the ride out a bit by continuing down to Springfield and then continuing to Route 20.  Since I didn't have a lot of time I turned around when I got to the crest of the climb.

Amazing view looking down the climb I just finished

I didn't go back exactly the way I came.  Instead of hooking back to Hyde Hall I stayed on the paved road.  It had some fantastic high speed tight turns.  Which I took far too conservatively.  Anway, it got me back to East Lake Road which I took back to Cooperstown.

East Lake Road. Far better than the other side of Lake Otsego which has more car traffic.

A little waterfall next to the road

Don't tell anyone, but passing the last downhill turn into town I saw I was exceeding the posted speed limit of 30 mph.  Zoom.

One thing worth noting about Cooperstown: they have a water bottle filling station and a bike repair station next to a bike rack on Pioneer Street.  Very impressive for a small town.



The only pity was I didn't have more time to do any more longer rides while in Cooperstown.  I missed out on Murphy Hill and Roseboom.  Well, maybe next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment