Sunday, August 16, 2020

How to Stay Sane During a Pandemic: Ride the Bike

 How to Stay Sane During a Pandemic: Ride the Bike
Your Mileage May Vary

Global Pandemic: Plan An Alternate Rout(ine)!

Although it's been MONTHS since I updated this blog, I can report that I've been consistent in staying on my bike.  I've been working from home since March and I'm deeply grateful to still have a job and for my family's continued health during this very frightening time.

I've been careful to maintain whatever elements of routine & normality from the BeforeTimes that I can.  For instance, I don't wear t-shirts when I "go to work".  I've kept wearing collared polo shirts (hey, for an IT guy that's dressing up).  Most importantly, I have kept up with bicycling before work.  At first I would just ride for an hour or so, but I found the longer I went the better my mood through the day.  So, now I typically wake up early enough to ride for almost two hours before starting my work day.  This isn't too far off from the amount of time I would spend on my bike commute, so I guess it makes sense that it feels optimal to me.  On the weekends I go out for longer rides, typically on Sundays.  

I stretched out these longer rides to about 75 miles over the course of the summer.

Generally the weather was great this summer. There were some exceptions.

It was really nice getting out of town and away from people.  By all reports outdoor transmission of the virus is generally less common.  Nonetheless, I did the polite thing and put on a mask whenever I saw someone who was going to come within 20 feet of me.

Be considerate and careful! Doesn't cost nothing.


I also carry a real mask with me for use in stores.  Riding in general was a way to relieve stress and was a touchstone to normality. Also, it's just fun to get out on a nice sunny day.  Finally in August I did a real long ride -- from my home in Brookline out to Eastham on Cape Cod.  A ride of about 105 miles.



By habit and tradition I stopped where the Harbor to the Bay and Outriders have rest stops.  The green arrows on the ground had been almost entirely weathered away or paved over.  Fortunately, I know the route by heart.
Past Plymouth on my way to the Cape Cod Canal.




I packed a lot of food and fluids to reduce the number of times I'd have to stop en route. That's coffee in the bottle on the left.

Out of water I had to stop at a little market in Barnstable.  I shook the carbonation out of the coke to have the old classic cyclist's energy drink, flat coke.

A view of the marsh from the Cape Cod Rail Trail. Just gorgeous.


105 miles without putting on sunglasses makes for bloodshot eyes.

At the end of the ride I got to the place we're renting for three weeks.  I'll be working remotely from here.  Not from the hammock in the background of the photo though!  With the crisis the country is going through due to the mismanagement of the pandemic I am acutely aware of my good fortune and privilege.  I hope anyone reading this can find a way to get some respite from the stress and danger.  Take care of yourselves and the people around you as best you can. 



2 comments:

  1. Just saw this post after I made my annual donation. I did the equivalent of the B2P (128 miles) on what would have been Ride Day 2020. Hey, my subconscious knew it was ride day, so I woke up at 5:00 anyway. Haven't cracked 100 since then, but I hope to tomorrow. I work from home now in B2P t-shirts, but I put on something with buttons for attending Zoom church services.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! Thanks for the inspiring post. I wish you all the best for the Harbor Ride! and a happy and healthy year ahead for all.

    ReplyDelete