Friday, September 14, 2018

Common Questions about the Harbor to the Bay


First question: "What route do you take to bike from Boston to Provincetown?"  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13134103  It's generally on secondary roads.




Second question: "How do you get home?"  

After staying the night in a motel, I'm driving back with my family with the bike on the roof rack.




Third question: "How long will it take you?"  

I'm shooting for 8 hours in the saddle.

So close!




"Do you stop?"  
Yes, there are pit stops all along the route where I can get food & water.  There are volunteers driving SAG support vehicles in case I have a really bad problem.  Each pit stop also has a bike mechanic.






"Does your butt hurt?"  

Surprisingly, no.  My saddle fits right and I put in enough saddle time that I don't get sore like that.  I do use Bag Balm to prevent chafing in various spots.

It doesn't hurt.



"Isn't it flat all the way out to the Cape?"

No, it's not!  The climbs are nothing like central Massachusetts or the Berkshires, but there's still quite a bit of up and down along the route.  The toughest bits are the 15 miles on either side of the Cape Cod Canal and the rolling hills in Wellfleet and Truro.


"You must be crazy!" 

Mmmmaybe.  

"What do you do if it rains/it's hot/it's cold?"  

Wear appropriate clothing and make a deposit in The Bank of Mental Toughness.

This also counts for the are you crazy question.





"What do you think about, don't you get bored?"  

I think a lot about bicycling.  Am I in the right spot in the road?  Is my cadence OK?  Have I been eating and drinking enough?  When is the next turn?  Any potholes/obstacles to avoid?  If I'm riding with someone, it's an excellent chance to talk.

Not shown: Potholes aplenty



"Why are you doing this?"  

I ride in memory of a childhood friend, Mark Neuman, who passed away from AIDS in 1991.  

No comments:

Post a Comment