Monday, July 23, 2018

The Road Not Taken (kinda gets taken)


So, every summer my company has an outing at the Mount Washington Resort in New Hampshire.  This year I gave very strong consideration to bicycling to the outing from my home.  It would have been about 180 miles -- over two days.  In the event I did a lot of miles in May and June to get ready, but I thought it best not to attempt the ride.  Although I think I could have done it, I think I would have been too tired from the effort to be any fun over the weekend.

The historic and grand Mount Washington Hotel


I did bring my bike however and I took the opportunity to ride down Crawford Notch a bit.  This would have been the culmination of my trip from Boston to Mount Washington and I wanted to see what it was like.  Even though I've been bicycling for many years -- 28 years as an adult -- I've never ridden a mountain pass like Crawford Notch.  


Time for a gut check


A few pleasant miles into the effort I came to the sign that really marks the descent -- a 13% grade with a pretty narrow shoulder.  I pulled off into the scenic overlook to take stock.  Well, I thought.  This is it.  I took a couple photos and headed down.  It was kind of nerve wracking -- particularly since there was a bit of construction at the edge of the road.  I got through it, feathering my brakes along the way.  I still hit about 40 mph!

After seven miles or so I got to the historic Wily House.  I'm not sure what made it historic, but it seemed like a good place to turn around.  It would make for a short ride, but I did have a dinner reservation I had to get to and I wasn't sure how long it would take me to climb back up that 13% grade.


Wile E. Coyote House? I'm an ignoramus.

Looking back up the way I came.


I passed a number of happy hikers coming in the opposite direction and waved hello.  It was a steep long climb.  I've ridden up Mount Wachusett in central Mass and done some very long climbs in the Berkshires, but this seemed -- more like a classic mountain pass.  I looked around and realized it really looked like the kind of road that professional racers ride on.  Sweat dripped off me as I ground my way up in the easiest gear that my road bike offered.  I got into a good rhythm during the ride up.  The scenery was amazing and the drivers were courteous for the most part.

I got to the top of the climb far faster than I thought I would.  It felt great!  Settling into the drops I hammered back to the hotel, feeling kind of sorry that the ride was so short.  I got back on time to get ready for dinner feeling like the ride from my house to Mount Washington is doable.  


Feeling good, wishing I could have gone further.


No comments:

Post a Comment